THE TRADITION CONTINUES

It's time for something different. Some of the other things we do outside the "REGULAR" course of business.

These contraptions are speed adjuster and governor lockouts for a Simplicity engine. The original is in the foreground. Our customer brought 4 sets of really nice castings for machining. The setups were difficult as it was very important to keep the geometry correct. Luckily he had FOUR sets of these as things moved right along after getting the setups organized.

Another project was a set of pistons for a 20-35 Twin City tractor engine. The original pistons had a weakness in that they tend to break in the ring groove area......and they did. Our resourceful customer found that Cummins Diesel engine pistons are the same diameter but use 2" piston pins, are slightly taller than the original from the boss to the head and the skirt length will be about 1" shorter. The skirt length is a non-issue but it's PROBABLY a good idea to have the connecting rods fit......

To accommodate the connecting rods we had to mill off the bosses from the inside. The 2" bosses will then be bronze bushed down to accept the new 1 5/8" induction hardened pins we managed to locate. Nobody ANYWHERE had 1 5/8" piston pins.....so you do what you have to do.

Here's an interesting project we got involved with! A 1903 Model A Ford car.

This car has a history of overheating and would run, usually, on only one cylinder. The one cylinder part was an easy fix but the cooling system had been plumbed such a way that there was no circulation through the cooling system. The solution was easy...........DOING it was NOT.

Like an IDIOT I did not photograph this car, an early teens SEARS car, when we had it in the shop. This car has tiller steering. At some point in time, I was told, a leaky battery had dripped acid on this intermediate shaft which holds the sliding friction drive disc and the drive sprockets. It looked BROKEN out to me...whatever...we took care of that.

 OH....I FOUND a photo.......... :-).........not a GREAT photo.....but better than nothing.....

A Townsend arrived on Nov 10, 2005. Go to the TOWNSEND TRACTOR page for MORE on THIS project!!!

 NEW ARRIVAL :-) This 8-16 Avery arrived on April 10, 2006. It's a TIME job so there won't be any news on this one until, probably, Winter. It sure is cute to look at though. It's here for an engine overhaul......and whatever else we run into........you NEVER know..........

Here's the state of the above Avery as of December 15, 2006.

The valve seats were way too wide for the valve faces so we had to narrow the seats by boring out the openings some.

There haven't been any big surprises except a WAAAAY screwed up (modified) oiling system. Someone, sometime, had tried everything they could to minimize a smoking problem as these things, when not working, like to burn oil......a lot.

The clutch pulley bearing was BADLY worn although the crankshaft measured less one .001" of wear. These pulleys are babbitted as they run free on the crankshaft. So another babbitting job. Below is a 1.6 meg WMV video clip link of the babbitt being poured in case you have never seen it done, and above is a photo of the finished bearing complete with oil galley.

POURING A BEARING VIDEO

Averys have a reputation as being oil burners. Below is a 1.7 meg WMV video clip which helps demonstrate why. A MASSIVE amount of oil is continuously poured over the connecting rods and the pistons, as designed, can't return the oil quickly enough to the crankcase so it gets sucked past the rings and winds up in the combustion area where it is burned. The modifying of the pistons for oil rings does much to alleviate that problem. This engine had already been modified to divert SOME of the oil to the main bearings.

You can make out SOME of the attempts to control the flow of oil to reduce smoking in the above photo. Hand valves, a relief valve, diverters and more contrivances were fitted even to the point of ELIMINATING the glass bottle which is the ONLY means of knowing IF oil is being pumped. As designed, however, there would be 2 solid 3/8" streams of oil sprayed over the rods!!!

AVERY OILING SYSTEM

Avery radiators aren't known for their durability...in other words...when you get an Avery you might as plan on some radiator work. This one could be worse as the tube sheets are good as is the bottom pan. The top tank, inner (exhaust tube) and outer, however, are a different story. The glass sight gauge had been brazed on and the tank had numerous brazed patches and was turning into a screen so we are replacing the top end. I'll cut off the inner tube when the new tube arrives so we get the dimensions correct rather than spend an hour drawing a diagram. It's not fun but it beats making a whole new radiator...been there and done that.

We could, at least, save the angle iron stands too. Here's Chris riveting the stands to the top tank.

The owner wanted an exhaust stack extension. Luckily 10" tube is readily available here as this is intensive irrigation country.

 

There are videos of this and other projects at my youtube channel

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL