THE TRADITION CONTINUES

We always were, first and foremost, a farm oriented repair shop but as the times changed so did we. We'd build a PTO shaft or an automotive or over-the-road semi tractor driveshaft. A barncleaner sprocket or a lawn tractor sprocket. Repair a domestic water pump, 1000gpm irrigation pump or even a fire truck pump. A leaf blower or a silo blower. A lawn mower or a haybine. You get the idea.

We stocked hot rolled steel shapes and high carbon cold finished rounds. We can't use inferior steel shafting to do repairs that will last. We stock a decent selection of pillow block insert bearings and housings, roller chain, sprockets, motor bearings, shaft seals, 0 rings and on and on. Welding supplies too..............we wouldn't last very long without those!


Ever been in a spot where you can't get what you need to fit what you have? We can usually do something about that. An example is this flywheel ring gear. A direct replacement is no longer available so we bored this one out to fit the flywheel. This old South Bend 24" swing lathe has been getting a lot of use the last couple of years including repairing the IHC 45hp Mogul tractor crankshaft seen in the next photo. This crankshaft was in terrible shape, journal wise, and also bent in 2 different planes. We managed to borrow an "In The Block" journal grinder from a friend in New YorkState to grind the throws after going half nuts trying to find a place in the Midwest that could handle the job. HINT: There isn't one!

After we got the rod journals ground into shape again it was straightening time. When you have a crankshaft that is 84" long and bent in 2 planes it's a problem but we know how to deal with these things. About 2 hours of peening put it straight enough to turn the 4" main bearing journals as well as a 3rd surface for an outboard bearing.

We ordered a new crankshaft gear blank cut, bored that out and while it was in the lathe we sweat that on too while it was handy. When dealing with a shaft that weighs over 500 pounds you do all you can while it's still handy.

In addition to the above and more we also do babbitting, an interesting thing to do but very time consuming. The actual pouring of the babbitt takes a few seconds. Making shims usually takes the most time followed by the setup. Depending on the application the finishing process can involve a lot of fitting, scraping and shimming......over and over and over again. When dealing with connecting rods and main bearings this must be done very carefully and that is why babbitting gets expensive. And after all that we sit down and pick babbitt off our clothes for an hour or two because you ALWAYS wind up wearing at least half a bearing. I'm not kidding either.......

As long as I'm on the subject of crankshafts, this was a REAL tough one from a 5hp Gilson engine. Bent everywhere except the main bearing, I thought it could be press straightened but it couldn't. So......the next thought was to build up the entire length and turn it straight. When I saw one 5/32" welding lay about a 5" long bead I said "That's enough of THAT" and went to Plan C which consisted of cutting off the offending portion, splice on an oversized shaft and turn THAT instead.

So here's the setup and things will be done shortly and much more quickly than either of the first two plans. Cut a keyway and another 5hp Gilson engine will live!!!!

This head from a 7hp Majestic engine came to us from Minnesota. Two big chunks are out of the head, the valves as stuck TIGHT and the rocker arm is in pieces. The owner, in a round-about way, asked if we considered ourselves one of the better places for this type job. I assured them that we wouldn't even consider doing to the job if we couldn't do a proper repair.

Here it is after the repairs. We also made new valves as the old ones were completely shot. Are we one of the places for this type of repair? We like to think so. So do folks in at least 12 (for now) other States. The only work we don't stand behind is manure spreaders!

This was an interesting job that came from a California collector. A large crosshead style Sullivan air compressor was missing the connecting rod cap. Luckily for him the rod bearing is a 2 piece bearing which bolts to the connecting rod and he had one half. We used the half he had and had another half cast, then machined the casting and babbitted the assembly. While he provided the journal dimensions there is always some "precision guesswork" involved with these things especially when it comes to shimming and journal cheek radii. It must have been a good day that day as he informed me everything fit perfectly using the shims we provided. I attribute that to just plain LUCK as things don't don't USUALLY pan out that way.
Below is a shot of it after the repairs.


Here's a shot of a valve in the making. This one (one of four) is for a 10-20 Titan for a customer from Connecticut. In addition to the valves we made new valve guides, spring caps, completely repaired the fuel pump including the making of a new inlet check valve, restemmed the pump plunger with chromed shaft and repaired a rocker arm stand that had half of the boss broken out